History of Potlach:
In 1903 the Potlach Lumber Company purchased the mill and timber lands of the Palouse River Lumber Company. Instead of building a major mill at Palouse, the company built a new mill, a company town, and a railroad. In 1905 Construction began on what was then the largest white pine sawmill in the world. Potlach built homes, commercial buildings, schools, chruches, a post office, and an opera house. Nothing was privately owned until 1952 when the company sold the town, giving residents first option to buy their houses. The mill operated until 1981 and was dismantled in 1983.
Located 15-25 miles northeast of Moscow, these are primarily logging and family farming communities. Timber and mountain streams make for classic Idaho living.